The requirements for research, clinical evidence and marketing authorisation of medical devices are continuously increasing. Nowadays, it takes up to 10 years to develop and authorise a new device, plus another 5 years until an innovation is mapped in the SwissDRG system for fixed rate per case payments in hospitals and reimbursed by compulsory health insurance (OKP). In the interest of speedy patient access to the latest examination and treatment methods, quick replacement of existing technologies with potentially cost-saving, better quality methods, and to protect the innovativeness of Swiss healthcare and strengthen Switzerland as a place for development, research and production, it is essential to rectify this process inefficiency.
Who we are
The expert group Market Access brings together member companies of Swiss Medtech and addresses employees with expert knowledge in the fields of market access, reimbursement and Health Technology Assessments (HTA) as well as with knowledge of the regulatory and health policy decision processes. It focuses on efficient authorisation and reimbursement processes for innovations in medical technology.
Who can participate
Employees of Swiss Medtech member companies who wish to promote market access of Swiss medical devices. Representatives of all medical fields are welcome in this group with the aim of expanding and diversifying expertise in the EG. New members should incorporate specialist knowledge on remuneration models or basic knowledge on health technology assessments or work in the field of Government Affairs/Public Policy. Five years of related experience and a position in middle management or as a specialist are desirable.
- Securing timely patient access to new medical procedures through clearly defined and accelerated mapping processes for innovations in the tariff systems
- Ensuring the quality of treatment and results by helping to shape the relevant quality indicators
- Considering the specific concerns of the medical technology industry in politics
- Providing support for tariff revisions
- Representing the Association in the Federal Commission for General Services and Principle Issues (ELGK) and in the Federal Commission for Analyses, Products and Devices (EAMGK)
- Participating in the revision of the HTA process "Re-evaluation" by the Federal Office of Public Health (BAG)
- Preparing position papers