According to estimates, half a million people in Switzerland suffer from incontinence, i.e. they are unable to voluntarily retain urine or faeces. Thanks to medical technology, there is a variety of incontinence and stoma products that enable those affected to remain at work and participate in society. Incontinence is a growing problem in an ageing society. Bladder weakness and faecal incontinence are the most common causes for the cost-intensive supervision of elderly people in retirement and nursing homes. Needs-based, tailored care for affected individuals is advisable from a cost perspective alone. However, the reality looks different: patients are often limited in their choice of supplier and product.
Who we are
The expert group Stoma and Continence Care comprises member companies of Swiss Medtech that develop, manufacture or distribute stoma and continence products. It focuses on activities that promote needs-based patient care.
Who can participate
Employees of Swiss Medtech member companies in the field of Stoma and Continence Care.
- Promoting needs-based and socially acceptable stoma and continence care
- Strengthening the freedom of choice for patients regarding supplier and products
- Securing access to innovation for patients
- Ensuring patient-friendly reimbursement of the products via MiGeL
- Exchanging information with professional societies and specialist dealers, as well as with partner organisations
- Participating in the MiGeL revision process of the FOPH