Since the 1950s, the Swiss medical technology industry has been playing a leading role in the development and improvement of implants. Medical devices manufactured and distributed in Switzerland stand for quality, innovation and safety. Implants have a wide range of medical application areas. In Switzerland, around 40,000 knee and hip prostheses and 70,000 artificial lenses are implanted each year; around 4,500 patients also rely on pacemakers and implantable defibrillators each year. Since 2012, implants have been systematically recorded in Switzerland, with the aim of continuously improving quality in medical implants.
Who we are
The expert group Implants comprises member companies of Swiss Medtech that belong to the value-added chain in the field of implants. It focuses on the topics related to the development, manufacture and distribution of implants.
Who can participate
Employees of Swiss Medtech member companies who belong to the value-added chain in the field of implants.
- Establishing the highest possible quality and safety standards
- Promoting expansion of implant registries across Switzerland in order to evaluate medical interventions in a transparent and objective manner
- Initiating networking platforms for members, colleges and universities to promote innovations
- Adding pacemakers/defibrillators to the SIRIS Registry
- Forming opinions regarding admissibility of free provision of programming devices for pacemakers/defibrillators
- Drafting sponsoring guidelines (e.g. as annex to the Swiss Medtech Code of Ethical Business Practice) to increase transparency and simplify processes